Monday, August 17, 2009

Betsey Johnson

I discovered Betsey Johnson while in High School and i remember wanting to go to Pratt because that is where she went to study Fashion Design. I applied to Pratt, but did not get accepted ;( . In the rejection letter there was still hope. They told me of this start up art college that is a sister school to Pratt *Heavens open* when you finish two years at Delaware College of Art and Design and recieve an Associates Degree in your major you automatically get into Pratt. So off to Dcad i went. After graduating i did not have the desire to go to NY and attend Pratt anymore..weird i know. Pratt was my dream school. I had posters on my walls and everything. I decided to attend Moore College of art and Design instead. It's here in Philly, my city and i was close to my mom to help her out. Who would of thought, that my decision to attend Moore would lead me to meet one of my fashion icons and inspirations, Betsey Johnson herself.

At first i could not believe the buzz going around in the fashion department and we had assignments based on her designs were she would see and pick out a few concept boards to take back to her NY office. Mines was not picked, but meeting her was enough. Betsey spoked about fashion and how much she loves it. How she got into it and even gave some advice. She even Talked about her daughter Lulu. Betsey was funny, cute and very tiny in height...tehe. Her sense of humor was great and she is very approachable. I remember her talking about her Heels and how she loves them so much she would sleep in them if she could and how she called them her "F" me heels. OH my! At the end of her speech she blessed us with a fashion show. A few models came out wearing her awesome, fabulous designs that even the angels in heaven would be jealous of such beauty. I could not believe i was there. I was sitting the whole time thinking "This was meant to be, me attending Moore and not going to NY"
I would of never meet her other wise. She even signed my book, which i still have and gave us all a gift bag full of yumminess. Betsey just celebrated a Birthday as well on August 10th. She turned 67, but she is still so youthful and funky. What would fashion be without her? She is my John Hughes of Fashion.















6 comments:

TheStrawberryFields said...

She is fabulous i enjoy her clothes and accesories so much.
I can look at her designs if i want something a little more bubbly and colourful to spruce up an outfit.

My BF bought me limited edition camel coloured Betsey Johnson heels, with zips on them that were in the shape of a lightning bolt,they are my love and i adore them.

Its a shame she didnt choose your work she has missed out on something and she doesnt even know,but she does sound lovely and its so cool you got to meet her.

JIM Designs said...

I love her work. Clothing is functional, but fashion is fun! I can totally see you working with her!

GypsyFox said...

She is just SO fabulous! I've loved her for years! I truley believe things happen for a reason & this is proof!! =) great post, your so lucky to have met her. sigh =)

KITKAR101PATD said...

Yes I ADORE Betsey Johnson. She is such an inspiration a total fashion junkie. And yet so young at heart! Ooh well thats great that you found the best college for you. And wow, you meeting Betsey herself? Lucky girl!!

krista carlson said...

How awesome is that...Good for you! Her stuff is awesome and so fun...

NotJustAnotherBrickInTheWall said...

Oh so cool! I would love to meet Galliano!!! I try to add him on facebook, but he didnt add me back xD
oh anyway, one day he will add me.
Betsy sounds cool!